I Find Myself, Once Again


Missing out on yet another music festival. This time, it is CMJ Music Marathon and Film Festival.
One thing I need to say about this festival is that it is INTENSE. I mean, you look at the line-up, and theres literally shit going on every minute, start to finish. From music to film, the list is nearly limitless.

So, instead of taking on the impossible feat of proclaiming all the bands I wish I were seeing, I'm going to talk about a band I have seen, and am very proud that they are at CMJ this year.

Awesome New Republic, has deservingly landed a spot on the line-up (and have probably just finished their set as I type this). The Miami group has been officially ANR since 2004. While they were disbanded for a period, the group resurrected recently to perform and work on a new album, "Rational Geographic." I have seen the band play a few times, one of which being in the Planetary of the Miami Museum of Science, and they just know how to make a Miami night one to remember (which is quite the feat, considering inebriation).

Their latest album is a fusion of multiple genres, but ultimately it's hard to draw comparisons with other bands to this one; the sound is so unique and genuine, you just have to listen.

Two classics from their 2005 EP "ANR So Far":
2K3012
Wheels No Engines

It's pretty amazing, considering how they recorded most of that album in a bedroom and it was given a 7.9 on pitchfork. Not to say that pitchfork is ever a reliable source, but I'm not surprised that their infectious sound has struck yet another listener. They have a big future ahead of them, what with music festivals, reviews, and tons of praise flowing from every music blogging orfus (ahem), the possibilities just seem endless.

No comments: